Hopefully it goes without saying that this Puppy Chow recipe is for you and not for your four-legged friends! Loaded with extra chocolate, extra peanut butter, extra flavor, and plenty of powdered sugar, this isn’t a dog-friendly recipe. It doesn’t get much more human-friendly than this, though. Quick and easy, Puppy Chow (also known as Muddy Buddy) makes a great last-minute, need-it-in-a-pinch kind of snack.
Includes a brief how-to video below the recipe!
There are a few recipes that I like to keep handy for when I need them quickly. For when my procrastinator-self gets the best of me and whoops I need something for that party we’re going to right now. I’ve shared some of my savory favorites (broccoli salad and taco dip) and my sweet favorites (homemade brownies!), but Puppy Chow is an easy recipe I’ve been making forever, yet somehow never shared before.
I was first introduced to this Puppy Chow recipe when I worked at Arby’s during college and a coworker brought it in around the holidays (thanks, Steph!). Chocolate & peanut butter and easy to grab a handful of every time I walked into the back, what’s not to love (except maybe the powdered sugar handprints on my black pants).
How to Make Puppy Chow
- Measure out 7 cups of cereal (you can use rice or corn Chex, I usually go for the rice)
- Melt together chocolate, peanut butter, and butter.
- Stir in vanilla extract and pour mixture over cereal. Toss until cereal is completely coated.
- Coat with powdered sugar until cereal is completely covered.
If you have a large, clean paper bag you can measure your powdered sugar into that, add your cereal, and just shake the bag until all of your cereal is well-coated with powdered sugar. This is how I used to coat my cereal, but I never seem to have a bag large enough anymore so now I just stir everything together. Use a spatula and a gentle hand so you don’t crush the cereal into small pieces. Don’t be afraid to add more sugar as needed, either! Any excess will sink to the bottom of your mixing bowl.
How to Store Puppy Chow
Puppy chow disappears so quickly in our house there’s hardly ever a need to store it. However, if you find yourself with leftovers, store them in an airtight container at room temperature. Leftover Puppy Chow will keep for up to a week.
- 7 cups rice or corn chex I use rice chex (210g)
- 1 ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips 226g
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter 210g
- 6 Tablespoons salted butter cut into 6 pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-4 cups powdered sugar 250-500g
- Measure out cereal into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a separate, medium-sized, microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter.
- Transfer to the microwave and heat for 30-second intervals, stirring well between, until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is smooth.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour chocolate mixture over your cereal and use a spatula to gently stir (you don't want to crush your cereal pieces!) until all cereal is coated in chocolate.
- Once all cereal is well-coated, add powdered sugar to the bowl and use a spatula to stir until all cereal is coated with powdered sugar. Add more sugar as needed.